Challenge Defeated | #5

The most challenging parts of my internship were related to a lack of resources. Working with a local non-profit showed me how limited some organizations are. I worked on a grant with them and was frustrated by the lack of data-driven information in the grant. I suggested to the director several times for more concrete statistics on the organization’s participants to no avail. What I didn’t consider was that 1) they didn’t have the manpower to collect and crunch numbers and 2) many people didn’t show up enough to be counted as regular participants. In my mind, having these numbers would have supported their grant, but in their minds, having such low numbers would have weakened it. To resolve this challenge, I noted the other successes of the organization more such as their sustainable community partnerships and diverse neighborhood. I also changed my communication approach to better understand my co-workers in the future.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s